Empower Families ~ Empower Volunteers ~ End Homelessness!
Did you know?
- In the United States, one out of five children lives in poverty.
- Families with children make up 40% of people experiencing homelessness.
- There are over 2,600 homeless children in Delaware; 45% of our state’s homeless population.
- 12% of Delawarean families live in poverty; 25% of families in Wilmington live in poverty.
- In the Christina School District alone, over 800 children experience homelessness every school year.
Interfaith Hospitality Network:
- Families are hosted by local congregations, 3-4 times per year for a week at a time.
- Families receive daily case management support from professional staff in their search for gainful employment and sustainable housing.
- We keep in touch with families who graduate from the program to ensure lasting independence.
- Over 80% of families secure housing in less than 60 days.
- Over 90% remain housed one year post-transition
Too often we hear families say, “I need shelter”.
Families need housing, not shelter.
We help families access affordable housing… and leap-frog over the shelter system by decoupling services from shelter.
We prevent families from going into shelter by working with landlords and community partners.
Empowering Compassionate Volunteers:
The issue of homelessness can seem overwhelming. As Family Promise NNCC volunteers, more than 1,000 of us have found a way to make an impact.
We mentor families. We teach financial literacy. We help find jobs and affordable housing. We advocate for public policies that alleviate poverty and promote the economic stability of low-income families.
Guests’ experience: “I have never felt so loved”. “I never knew people could care”. “I felt more accepted here than ever before”.
Volunteers’ experience: “I get more out of this than the families do”, “I have met new members of my own congregation”, “It’s fun and easy to get involved”.